Friday, August 17, 2007

A Open Letter to Cooper Green


A nice gentleman by the name of Cooper Green stopped by the blog the other day and left a few words of comfort for ol' Doc. As it is unusual that we get newcomers here at Social Zymurgy, I decided to look him up. He runs a blog of his own called Lying Bastard, and I don't know about you, but I got a lot of respect for a man who tells you right off that he is about to pull your leg. He is out of British Columbia (God Bless all of our brothers and sisters to the North), works in radio, and is probably the funniest Son Of A Bitch I have ever read. For example, see "The Lying Bastard's Once-In-A-While Caption contest No.2", as well as "Mayor Testicle Officially Opens Codpecker Centre For The Incredibly Stupid". The web does not offer any better than this Dear and Gentle Reader.
In Cooper's comment he asked if I was really a doctor. The answer is no, nor do I play one on t.v. I do know some first-aid, some psychology, and a smattering about dentistry, but even all three of these combined would not be enough to get me a degree even from some fly-by-night Internet school. The title is an honorary one bestowed on me by my dear friend Big Orange, much like Doc Holliday in the photo above. It comes from Steinbeck's book "Cannery Row" after the marine biologist Doc. This is the only nickname I have ever had and it is one I'm damned proud of. I hope this answers your question and that you will stop by our little cyber-bar again, 'cause I know I'm going to be stopping by Lying Bastard more often.
Your Friend,
Doc

7 comments:

  1. Bless your non-medical heart, Mr. Doc, I could hardly have expected such a tribute after leaving one simple comment on one glorious post. Now you've made my day twice (two days once each, actually) ... once with this post featuring my actual made-up name right there on a delightful mustardy background, and once with a Gene Tierney video that can easily cause a guy to forget about a two-generation age difference.

    This is a wnonderful place to visit, and I plan to continue that habit. Thank you, profusely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Doc, I am already having a hard time keeping up with all the brilliant blogs and you just add one like this? Alright, I'll take my medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once dated a girl named after Gene Tierney.

    Ditto on Dale's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cooper Green- Great art needs to be shared and encouraged, especially when it is something funny, as the world seems to be running a little short of laughter here as of late.

    By the way, how did you find your way here to our little corner of the www?

    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dale/Evil Genius- I know it is tough, but damn it, these folks are worth it, just like you two.

    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be sure. But that doesn't mean I still can't bitch about it. It is part of my charm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doc, I've been making a point lately of looking around for well-written blogs with lots of humour, and Social Zymurgy certainly qualifies. I'm trying to build up my Links list with sites I really enjoy, because I probably use that list more than my visitors do.

    Chris at Some Guy's Blog is where I found your link, and I believe it was from a comment you left rather than from his links list. There are some great, funny blogs out there ... yours included ... and I'm discovering that comments on other blogs are the best way to find them.

    I can't tell you how proud this post makes me. You blew me away. Thanks again for that. I'll be back here regularly, and I'm sure I'll run into you on other sites we both visit.

    ReplyDelete

Write your beer-fueled ravings here...