Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Crazy Eight's


"Who loves ya baby?" - Kojak

"And when that evening sun goes down, drive me in to your hometown, I'd like to buy your friends a round," - Tom T. Hall, "Give Me Peace"

"Hell Doc, I got lotsa friends" "Well I don't." - Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in "Tombstone"

I have recieved a prestigious award, and it is even more prestigious as the bestower is a man of culture, taste, smarts, and wicked wit. I speak of none other than Coaster Punchman, bon vivant, gentleman, and a man about town.

Most every award I have ever recieved was emblazoned with the word "participant", "runner-up", or "Not Quite Dead Last", but not this time. I have recieved this award for what is percieved as my "charm". While I have never thought of myself as charming, I am not about to correct anyone who suggests that this might be a part of my character, as it is a misconception that I would like to cultivate. In bestowing this award on myself and seven other worthy bloggers, Coaster mentioned that I was his hero. For the life of me I can't imagine what I have said or done that was even remotely heroic other than I once saved a duck from drowning. The truth be told, I am as heroic as Barney Fife, and I don't think Coaster said it in a "wind beneath my wings" kind of way, as I am even less inspiring than I am heroic.

Regardless of how or why I wound up on this roll-call of great and charming bloggers, I am deeply honored and more than a little flattered. Thank you, Coaster. Thank you very much.

Now with this award comes one stipulation, listed below:

These bloggers are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award.”

Now comes the hard part. I have to nominate eight of you. The rotten thing is that I'm not certain who has garnered this award and who hasn't. To be fair, if I know you've gotten it, you are out of the running, but you will recieve a copy of the home game and a case of Turtlewax.

Ms. Peabody, the envelope please...

Here they are, Social Zymurgy's picks for the Crazy Eights Charming Blogger award, in no particular order:

Dale- A grand master of charm, word, and wit. Listen to one of his audio blogs and you'll be hooked.

Cooper Green, of Lying Bastard- If you can look at this and not laugh, check your pulse.

Gifted Typist- The Chronicle Herald don't know what they have! A true artist with a keyboard.

Holy Crappers- Contrary to it's name, this blog is not about theology or feces. It is written by two sisters, Sista #1 in the city of Brotherly Love, and Sista #2 in FLA and their merry beer-fueled misadventures. Also lots of eye candy for the ladies as every Tuesday is Tantillizing Tuesday.

Miles McClagan of Jungs Programme Notes- I can't say enough good things about this blog. Miles is a transplanted Scot who lives in Tasmania. His blogs are always two paragraphs long and have the feel of stream-of-conciousness about them as he flows from sport, to music, to girls and bogans*.

Cormac Brown at Cormac Writes- Would you like to meet a talented writer of the first order? His works will leave you with the lingering smell of perfume and burnt gunpowder like this.

Bubs at Sprawling Ramshackle Compound- If you can read the first three paragraphs of this and not feel compelled to read the rest- I swear I will eat dirt.

Kris McCraken at This Will Hurt Me...- If the titles and photos don't suck you in, I don't know what will.

Skyler's Dad at Some Days It's Not Worth Chewing Through The Leather Straps- While Coaster mentioned that I was his hero, I'd have to say that SD is mine. This man has a six foot funny bone.

Vikkitickkitavi at Bells On- Three words: "Damn Sharp" and "Fiesty". 'Nuff said.

Well there you have it, My Crazy Eights. All of the above are writers who justly deserve your time and attention, and in no way should be dismissed as simply the ramblings of a drunken old man. (These are the ramblings of a drunken old man, but they still shouldn't be dismissed.) Each one brings something unique, funny, and charming to the world of blogdom and should be recognised for their valuable contributions to enriching my life, and given half a chance, your's too.

Doc

P.S.- Anyone who feels like they have been unjustly overlooked in my selections should leave me a comment in the comments section. In no way will it alter my list, but you will be remembered the next time I have to nominate great bloggers of worth and you will get a free case of Turtlewax. Signed, The Editor.

* I'm ashamed to admit that I had to ask Miles what a bogan was. He explained that in America we would call them White-Trash in an AC/DC T-shirt.

9 comments:

  1. Doc, I don't not what to say. It is hard for me to type as tears are blurring my vision to the screen. You are a dear friend, I'm so ferklempt ( love that word). I am overwhelmed at this moment. not only from the beer and food I have consumed at dinner, but from your generosity.
    I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Oh and also,,,,Love it when you call us rascals.

    #1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what goes round comes round! Cormac sent it to Bubs, who sent it to me, who sent it to you, who sent it to Cormac and Bubs! It's a grand thing, and I think we should all just keep giving each other awards in one big award circle. Works for me!! Thanks for the props! CP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much kind sir, I am quite honored. Away I go to the bat-laptop to start composing my ode to 8!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank the Academy of beer drinkers all across America for this prestigous award.

    Doc, this suds for you!!



    peace
    #2

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Cormac is an ill-tempered hack that owes me money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wait a minute, that's me! Thank you very much Doc, for putting me on such an esteemed list and for giving my work a plug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, thanks!

    I agree completely with what Coaster Punchman said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks mate! I really appreciate it!

    I can suggest, for research purposes, http://www.bogan.com.au/

    It's very helpful with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to mention me Doc and in such fine company, I appreciate it. You definitely belong on the list. Cormac mentioned me as well but I refuse to give up either award so there. I'll try and honour a few folks one of these days in kind.

    ReplyDelete

Write your beer-fueled ravings here...