Like most of the country, the recent ice storm that we had knocked out our power for several days. The kids embraced the idea of camping out in our basement by the kerosene heater and playing board games by candlelight. While we were rearranging the laundry room into a more suitable living area, I thought it might be a good idea to explain some fire safety tips.
"Now you have to understand," I began, "this heater is a wonderful tool. It gives us heat and light but we have to be very, very careful around it. It can start a fire, and while it is a great tool, it can go horribly wrong in a hurry."
And without ever missing a beat, my youngest, Lucy, chimes in, "Like a wedding?"