Anyway, since I've been denied my digital reading, I've gone back to the old fashioned kind, an interesting book called "Totally Weird and Wonderful Words" by Erin McKean. I'm always looking for new ways to add to my paltry education and this seemed like something that might be fun to share. The book is laid out like a dictionary which is nice for those of us who have a short attention span, but I'm only as far as K, so I reckon there will have to be one more installment. So without further ado:
- brannigan [bran-ig-in] a drinking bout, a spree or binge.
- crapulous [krap-yoo-luhs] relating to drunkenness or the drinking of alcohol. adj. crapulent. noun, crapulence. It comes from a Latin word meaning 'inebriation,' itself based on a Greek word meaning 'drunken headache.'
- drazel [drazz-zle] a slut.
- drinkdom [dringk-dum] the influence of the alcoholic beverage industry, or the power of drink.
- epithymy [i-pith-uh-mee] a rare word meaning 'desire, lust.'
- ergophobic [er-guh-foh-bik] someone who fears work.
- Fescennine [fes-suh-neen] an obscene or insulting song or verses.
- furciferous [fur-sif-er-us] an adjective meaning 'like a rascal.'
- halch [halch] to hug or embrace.
- houghmagandy [hahk-muh-gan-dee] sexual intercourse with a person one is not married to.
- ithyphallic [ith-ee-fal-ik] an adjective meaning 'indecent, obscene,' from association with its other meaning, 'having an erect phallus.' It comes from the practice of carrying a phallus in procession at festivals of Bacchus.
- jargogle [jar-goh-gle] an obscene verb meaning 'to confuse, to mix up.'
- jirble [jur-ble] to spill liquid by unsteady movement of the container; to pour liquid from vessel to vessel.
- jumentous [joo-men-tuhs] a very rare adjective meaning 'resembling horse's urine.'
In further updates I will provide a plethora of words meaning fornication. Now who can use the most of their new-found vocabulary in their comment? The winner gets a halch, or a drazel, their choice. Also any fescennines would be welcome too.