Sunday, December 28, 2008

I Have Been A Witness To A Murder

I was driving home from work the other day and there was still some light left in the sky from a sun that had already set, and I could see the small tree along the road was thick with large black shapes. As I got closer I could see that it was filled with crows. They were sitting with their backs to they wind and fluffing their feathers to provide a little more insulation from the oncoming cold of the night. The light gave their plummage a distinct metalic sheen and I was struck by their astounding beauty.

I have always had an affinity for the crow. It was common for Native Americans to have a personal animal that they treated as a guide and a familiar, and the crow has always been mine. They don't have the colorful feathers of other birds, or what most would consider a beautiful song, but they are somewhat "rough and ready" and willing to do what it takes to survive and for that I admire them. Whenever I see one I call out to him, "Hello Brother Crow! May you find something good to eat today!" I do this often enough that now the kids have started to do it too. Whenever I see one, I take it as a good omen.

With a little luck, perhaps Brother Crow will visit you and bestow a little luck in your life. Keep looking up!

Doc

6 comments:

  1. I love your post title. May you never need to eat crow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a suggestion: a print of the painting "Krahe" by Rudi Hurzlmeier for th' Lodge. I think it's properly bizarre...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that Hurzlmeier print and love it. Get one for the lodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was always afraid of crows......


    peace
    #2

    ReplyDelete

Write your beer-fueled ravings here...