Friday, November 30, 2007

The Lodge

Tanya Espanya had a wonderful little piece over at her place where she photographed where she does all of her blogging. I thought that this was a fine idea, and since my scruples are out being cleaned, oiled, and reblocked, I decided to steal it. So, welcome to where all the magic starts: The Lodge. Perched atop this bar stool, I write the silliness that you read here. At the right hand edge of the photo you can see our antique-looking globe that opens to store liquor. It was the very first thing that Flannery and I purchased after our honeymoon. I think she wanted it because she knew she was going to have to start drinking heavily if she was going to be saddled with this dumb white country boy for the rest of her days. She never got around to drinking though.
This is our Barber chair, and sometimes I sit here to think up the next piece of silliness that I am about to unleash on my readers. It reclines all the way back and lends itself well to napping, and yes, I have had my hair cut in it before. Note the Persian rug on the floor, one of Flannery's Womanly touches.
This was taken while standing on a large school teachers desk that doesn't appear in any of the photos. When the author was climbing down, he slipped, pulled a groin muscle, and ripped the seat out of a perfectly good pair of khakis. What I won't do for good art.
Now we take a look at some of the decor. This is the one room of the house that I got to decorate, so it has something of a "guy" feel to it, such as Rhett Butler gambling, Jonah Hex, and the Winchester ammo chart.
The black sign in the center reads, "No solicitations considered unless first submitted to the Better Business Bureau." That is Clint Eastwood peeking out over the lamp, while the autographed picture of Lex from Suvivor: Africa nestles next to the Foliate Man. At the edge of the photo is a picture of the original cast of Star Trek and is autographed by William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. Above that is a picture entitled Freedom Cafe that looks like the famous painting The Nighthawks, but this has Nelson Mandela, Malcolm X, and Martin Luther King Jr. Oddly enough, both of these are above my picture of Charlton Heston holding a musket.

So ends the tour, as Blogger won't let me post any more photos, and anymore photos would only reveal the amazing amount of clutter, crap, trash, and junk that seems to collect here. Please don't pay any attention to the ice cold PBR, cigarettes, and Guy Fawkes mask that you see above. They aren't mine. I'm just holding them for a friend.

Doc

9 comments:

  1. There appears to be a large number of power strips and extension cords running about. I feel compelled to call in a code violation, unless of course, some form of compensation were to happen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Name your price and give me a p.o. box.

    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  3. this reminds me of Carrie Fisher's book, "Delusions of Grandma" wherein one of the characters was a writer/journalist who could only compose anything if he was nude wearing only a bathtowel.

    Somehow, I have visions that, despite your nattily-dressed avitar, you have some unspoken ritual you must observe when you write as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So who cleaned the table, you or Flannery?

    and...uh, note to all. If you visit The Lodge, grab the barber's chair. It really is very comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think instead of a new bed next time, I'm getting either a barber's or dentist's chair instead because they're so friggin comfortable.

    Nice tour Doc!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me the better part of a day to clean up half of the Lodge for this photo shoot. Notice that you never get to see the other half.

    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, elizabeth beat me to it. You can actually see the table!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yoink, I finally made it here. Barber chair?! That is so insane! And how nutty and weird is it that then I saw one sitting on a porch in my neighbourhood?! I'll take a picture of it for you when i remember.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Write your beer-fueled ravings here...